As we move into 2010, we look forward to bringing in significant improvements in our development methodology, which will help us improve efficiency in the results we deliver to our clients.
The following are a list of some of these improvements:
1. Source Code Control using SVN: All these years we have struggled without a proper implementation of a source code control repository. Starting 1-Jan-2010, all our project source code will be managed using SubVersion (SVN). Along with this, we are also working on automating the deployments so that code from a given release will be moved from SVN into a target environment automatically. We hope to have this in place before end of March 2010.
2. Development IDE – Netbeans: Netbeans has been chosen as the IDE for all our LAMP based application development. After a debate between Netbeans and Eclipse, the decision was taken to adopt Netbeans as the standard application development IDE at Auro Infotech.
3. Unit Testing – Though we have strong QA Testing Checklist and methodologies in place using Mantis and Quick Test, we have never had a formal developer testing / unit testing process. We have now finalized that and will be using a documented Unit Testing procedure performed by the developers, which will also be one of the mandatory inputs going forward whenever a QA test is requested.
Since Netbeans is tightly integrated with SVN as well as many unit testing tools, we hope to have a seamless interface between these technologies, which should help us in delivering more robust solutions at a much faster pace.
4. SEO Enabled Website URLs: All these years we have handled SEO enabling of URLs as a separate task in the development process. Going forward this task will be tightly integrated with the development process and hence will be a mandatory deliverable from all our projects.
5. Social Media Aware: With the growth of Facebook, Twitter, Orkut, iPhone, etc, we have made it a standard in all our projects to consider features for social media as a part of the basic project.
We hope that the above plans should help us deliver applications which help the online websites of our clients to perform in a much more efficient manner.